Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Footprints in the Snow

A few days ago we got the first real snow storm of the season. In the area of the state in which I live we'd been without a good snowfall up until about a week ago. Then, all of a sudden, it snows like it'll never end. In one night we got six inches.

So, it's the middle of this snow storm, and I'm in bed with my wife and our dogs suddenly go crazy. Their barking wakes me from my sleep, but my husband keeps snoring away. I get up to go see what they're barking at, figuring maybe they see a raccoon out the sliding door in the back of the house.

I find the dogs, two German Shepards, right where I figured I'd find the, the sliding door off the kitchen. They're looking out into the backyard that is pretty well lit from the moon and the snow. I peer out the door with the dogs but don't see anything stirring in the yard. I talk to the dogs, telling them to shut up and that they didn't see anything. I figured they're probably looking at their own reflections in the glass of the sliding door.

It's not until I begin to turn around to head back to bed that I see them. Footprints. There are boot prints on the back deck, leading right up to the sliding door. 

I know that they aren't mine or my wife's because neither of us were in the back yard that day. I'm also certain that the prints were made not long before the dogs woke me up because it was snowing hard and the prints were very fresh looking. They must have been made after my wife and I went to sleep.

It was bad enough that there were these mysterious boot prints outside my house made in the dead of night. What was worse, though, was that there were only prints leading up to the door. There weren't any prints leading away I could see the trail of prints leading from the back alley up to the sliding door at the back of the house, but I didn't see any prints leading from the deck away from the house.

I don't know what could explain this. I think that maybe the person that made the prints walked backward and followed their own prints away. Maybe it was some neighbor playing a trick on us. It's been nearly a week since this happened, and so far no one has come forward to confess to the prank.

I hope it is just a prank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"
So, it's the middle of this snow storm, and I'm in bed with my wife and our dogs suddenly go crazy. Their barking wakes me from my sleep, but my husband keeps snoring away."

You say your wife and your husband lol... hmm