Thursday, December 8, 2016

Executed Prisoners' Last Words

The Texas Department of Justice has a website that links to the last words of executed inmates. Being execution happy Texas, there are quite a lot of last words available for reading.

Some of the inmates still don't accept accountability for their actions even with their last words. Many of them do. Many of the inmates ask for forgiveness and thank their family or friends for their support. Some of them don't have anything to say at all.

We can't decide whether reading them is an interesting examination of the human state, or just a sad expense of time. As you read the last words, if you're like us, you have empathy for these people. Their sincerity of statement often leads us to believe they truly are repentant for their acts, but as you find yourself in this frame of mind, take a moment to "Offender information" link where you can see the heinous acts committed by the individuals. Then, we each have to come to our own conclusion on whether or not this inmate should have died for their crimes.

Below I've shared a few of the last words:


Date of Execution:
April 06, 2016
Offender:
Pablo Vasquez #999297
Last Statement:
I just want to tell my family thank you, my mom and dad and sister and Sabrina. I love you Mercedes. I am sorry to David’s family. This is only way that I can be forgiven. You got your justice right here. That’s it. My trust in Jesus.

Date of Execution:
July 31, 2013
Offender:
Douglas Feldman, #999326  (this man blames his victims for his crimes. Apparently, he killed the two men because of road rage. He uses his last words to find his victims guilty of crimes against him, somehow)
Last Statement:
I hereby declare, Robert Steven Everett and Nicholas Velasquez, guilty of crimes against me, Douglas Alan Feldman. Either by fact or by proxy, I find them both guilty. I hereby sentence both of them to death, which I carried out in August 1998. As of that time, the State of Texas has been holding me illegally in confinement and by force for 15 years. I hereby protest my pending execution and demand immediate relief.

Date of Execution:
September 13 , 2011
Offender:
Steven Woods, #999427
Last Statement:
You're not about to witness an execution, you are about to witness a murder. I am strapped down for something Marcus Rhodes did. I never killed anybody, ever. I love you, Mom. I love you, Tali. This is wrong. This whole thing is wrong. I can't believe you are going to let Marcus Rhodes walk around free. Justice has let me down. Somebody completely screwed this up. I love you too, Mom. Well Warden, if you are going to murder someone, go ahead and do it. Pull the trigger. It's coming. I can feel it coming. Goodbye.


Date of Execution:
February 4, 2015
Offender:
Donald Newbury #999403  (member of "Texas 7" gang)
Last Statement:
That each new indignity defeats only the body. Pampering the spirit with obscure merit. I love you all, that's it.


Date of Execution:
January 20, 2016
Offender:
Richard Masterson #999414
Last Statement:
Sending me to a better place.  I am alright with this, you have to live and die by the choices that we make.  I have made mine.  I love you Renee, I am gonna carry your heart and always carry my heart in your heart.  I am ready.

Date of Execution:
January 27, 2016
Offender:
James Freeman #999539
Last Statement:
None.

Date of Execution:
February 16, 2016
Offender:
Gustavo Garcia #999018
Last Statement:
To my family, to my mom, I love you. God bless you, stay strong. I'm done.


Date of Execution:
March 09, 2016
Offender:
Coy Wesbrook #999281
Last Statement:
Yeah, first off, I want to say that I am sorry for the pain that I have caused you people.  I am sorry that I cannot bring everybody back.  I wish it could be different.  I know it would be hard for you to understand what went on that night, I can’t bring them back as much as I would like to.  I love my daughter and all of my supporters.  I pray that the Lord take care of me and all of you.  I have no bad sentiment towards anyone.  I can understand your outrage and why you are mad at me.  God be with all of us.

 See the Texas Department of Justice website here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shees. That makes you think.