Monday, November 23, 2015

True Story



I’m a skeptic, and even though I’ve had my “experience” I’m still skeptical as to what was going on. My family and I moved into an old house in New England. New England is full of old houses, by the way. This particular one had been in the town since it had been settled. When we moved it, the place was a wreck, and as my parents would have it, they began to renovate the place, which is when things started happening. The day we moved, my sister and I went down to check out the basement, a low ceiling, dimly lit, dirt floor basement, separated into several sections.

As soon as we were at the bottom of the stairs, we were filled with a sense of uneasiness, we walked back into the next section and the uneasiness turned into dread. It was cold and lit dimmer than the first area, and then there was the totally pitch black back room, where the dread was unbearable. It was a sensation that to this day I can’t explain. But this is not enough to account for a ghost story.

My family was out of the house on one particular day. I was there and my father had left for lumber only moments before I laid down to take a nap. I’m not sure how long I slept, but I was awoken by a deafening banging. As though someone was pounding on the walls with a hammer. The force of each blow shook the house and shook me out of my bed. I got up and looked out the window to see if my dad had returned, my car was the only one in the driveway. The banging stopped after a couple of minutes and in a state of grogginess, I went back to sleep, dismissing the incident.

On another evening, I am alone in the house after dropping my girlfriend off at her house. I’m upstairs watching a movie in my parents room. The house is old, as I mentioned, and it makes a lot of very distinct noises. From downstairs, I hear the rusty doorknob leading to the barn turn. The sound is unmistakable, I heard it a thousand times when I would step out for a smoke. I froze and shut off the TV, listening hard for any other strange sounds. I crept back to the doorway to my room and from below, in the dining room, I heard the light switch flip on, it makes a loud popping sound when you switch it, again this is an unmistakable sound.

No comments: