Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I Work Alone

I was a field engineer doing software installation and commissioning on telecom equipment controllers. I work alone. These units are located at cell sites/tower bases which your phone connects to in order to provide you service and connectivity from your cell service provider. A lot of these towers are in very very remote places. In this particular project I would go in the day after the construction crews completed their tower and electrical work, I would be by myself with just my work truck, air card and laptop.

This particular site was in rural Virgina. I probably still have the email from when I was on that project with the site's coordinates so I will try and post those later if i find them. (If its not against policy of course) The site was about 2-3 miles into the deep woods of VA, it was near a now abandoned mine of some sort, not sure exactly what they were mining for but there was very old mining carts and drilling equipment scattered about as I was driving to the site. It was starting to get dark but this was supposed to be a quick in and out type deal, LTE commissioning usually takes 1 hour or less and since I saw a civil war era cemetery connected to the gravel road which leads to the site, I was in more of a rush than usual. See the thing is, when you try and rush things, specially because of fear, you WILL fuck up... And boy did I fuck up.

Something that should have taken one hour took over four. When I finally completed my work and closed my laptop screen I realized how dark it was outside, and that I was all alone at the base of a tower in the middle of nowhere. I quickly gathered my belongings and headed towards my car which was probably 60 yards away at the gate of the compound where the tower was located. When I tried to close the gate behind me it was so dark that I couldnt see the chain and lock, so I put my car in reverse, put the e-brake up and shut off the ignition. This way my reverse lights were lighting up the gate for me so I could close it. Just trying to give you an idea of the utter darkness I was in.


After all that I headed down the trail to the secondary gate which leads to the site, about 1/2 mile from the actual compound. Same situation as before, too dark so had the car in reverse. Well when trying to close this gate I heard in the distance what I can only describe as the most menacing and evil female laughter. It sounded like it was pretty far away but I got shook to the bone. I left that secondary gate wide open and noped the hell out of there. On the drive out I remembered the cemetery I had to drive by. Needless to say I didn't look at it when drove past it on the way out.

After speaking with the construction crew that built the site, they also said they heard people whispering in the woods at night but could never spot anyone. They also heard what sounded like people picking at rock with tools but they were certain no other construction or anything was taking place anywhere for miles on end.

No comments: