Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Key



When I was a student, I shared an apartment with a couple of friends from university. The apartment was owned by my friend's dad. I lived there for about 3 years. As you'd expect, I needed 2 keys to get in: one for the building; the other to open the main door to the apartment.


A weird thing happened one morning, after I'd been living there for about 18 months. The other guys had gone into classes early, and I had the day off. I went out to pick up some food, and locked the door, as usual. I was out for less than half an hour. When I came back, my key wouldn't turn in the main apartment door. I was annoyed, but didn't think much of it, since I know locks can get stiff etc and it was an old door. I called my mate, and he came back and opened the door with his key.


Later on, I tried my key in the door again to see what went wrong. At that point, I realised something bizarre: the key for the apartment door was not on my key chain, and instead, there was this chewed-up old key that I'd never seen before. At first glance, it was similar to my apartment key, which was why I hadn't noticed it earlier, but on a closer look, it was a different cut and make to the apartment key. I only had 1 key chain with the 2 keys on it, so there was no way it was an old house key or something that I'd forgotten about.


I was pretty creeped out. I had locked the door that morning, as I had done many days for the last year and a half, with the right key, and then in a short space of time, that key had vanished and been replaced by a totally random one-all without my knowing. I keep thinking of whether someone could have pick-pocketed me while I was out or something...but then slipped another random key back onto my chain?! Totally insane. Though I can't think of any alternative!

No comments: