Friday, April 3, 2015

Never Give Your Real Name on the Internet

About 10 months ago, I made a comment on a post in /r/gaming on Reddit saying that first names don't matter on the internet and that my name was Paul. A few people said stuff like "Oh, you done fucked now, Paul" and other such things. Like most comments on Reddit, I thought it was funny. Someone thought it would be really funny to make a subreddit dedicated to finding out information about me. Within 12 hours of my comment, this nefarious gentleman found out and posted where I live, links to my Youtube, Myspace, Twitter, and Facebook pages, a few of my old usernames, a picture of me when I was 9, and a bunch of other shit. That was the first time something on the internet really freaked me out. I reported him and that subreddit and it was closed within a few hours.

No comments: