Thursday, April 9, 2015

Abduction



I was about 16 and my best friend and I went to watch my ex-boyfriend's band play in a friend's garage they'd set up with couches and chairs and a makeshift stage. Think shag carpet remnants nailed to the walls. There were maybe twenty of us watching. Afterwards someone decided we should go grab some food at a local hangout.






As my friend and I were leaving this creepy older dude with stringy blonde hair asked me to ride with him. I said no but he persisted so I stupidly agreed as long as my friend followed. We got in his car and took off. I tried making small talk but he didn't say much. All of a sudden he took a hard right onto a side road. I asked what he was doing and he just said, "Shortcut," and kept driving.






My friend was still behind us so I wasn't too worried. After a few minutes he starts taking all these crazy turns and is flooring it. I start yelling at him to slow down and he just stared straight ahead, gripped the wheel and wouldn't say a word. We got to an old two-lane highway and he turns on it, goes wide open. I start screaming and he turned the radio up to drown me out. He'd managed to lose my friend.






Finally, I start to panic inside and contemplate that I'm probably about to be raped and murdered. This was before cell phones and gps so I had no way to get in touch with anyone and didn't really know where I was. I tried talking nice and politely asking him to let me out. Nothing. Steely eyes ahead and driving in silence. I'm imagining my parents getting a call that the police found my head in a ditch when all of a sudden he says, "Fuck. We're out of gas," and a couple of minutes later we see an old mom and pop gas station and he pulls in.





Again, this was the stone age when you had to pay inside because there weren't credit card machines on the pump. We are in the middle of nowhere, no one else is there but one grandpa worker inside. He gets out of the car then leans back in and says, "Don't even think about trying to run," and goes inside. Well, what the hell could I do? I got out and ran like a grizzly bear was chained to my ass.






He didn't see me right away but I hadn't gotten very far at all when I heard him yelling for me to come back and he started running after me. A car was coming down the highway so I started screaming and flagging them down. Damned if it wasn't my very pissed off best friend! She thought we were playing a joke on her! I jumped in the car and yelled for her to go. She sat there yelling at ME until she saw that crazed mofo running towards us and she floored it away from there. I started freaking out and crying and eventually we made our way back to town and the restaurant with our friends.






I didn't even tell my parents because I had lied about where I was going. I did tell my ex-bf and his friends. They didn't know where the guy lived but he showed up a couple of weeks later and they proceeded to beat him within an inch of his life. My ex (who is still a good friend) broke a metal folding chair across his face. He wasn't seen again.

No comments: