Thursday, September 25, 2014

Scary Books

If you can't tell, we here at Alone at Night are ready for October. Halloween! We plan on celebrating the entire month long with marathons of scary books and movies.

Today we'd like to invite you to share your favorite scary books!

We'll start things off with a few of the ones we've enjoyed over the years.

'Salem's Lot by Steven King was terrific. The classic vampire tale, where no one sparkles, but everyone should be afraid. The small-town atmosphere present in many of King's works really sets the scene for the story. Claustrophobic in all the right ways.


For the kidos we have Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. We've shared the wonderful artwork from Stephen Gammel in a previous post, but the stories are dark and terrible and just right for well adjusted kids. Parents may think the stories are too dark, but I remember reading them as a kid and a lot of the darker elements passed over my head until I was older and able to handle them.

Of course there is the wonderful Goosebumps series from R. L. Stine. R. L. Stine has inspired us to write our own scary kid's stories, which maybe one day we'll share bits of on Alone at Night. Also, for slightly older kids, Stine has a great series called Fear Street.

We also really enjoyed  the equally parts funny and horrific "John Dies at the End".  I had it drilled into me by my Screenwriting professor that one shouldn't judge books against their movies. They are separate works of art and comparisons between the two aren't logical. However, we're going to ignore that advice and say that the book John Dies at the End is far more engaging than the movie.


Those are just a few of all the terrific scary books out there. We haven't even mentioned some of our favorites "I Am Legend", "The Haunting of Hill House", "Pet Semetary", etc. We wanted to leave some room for you fine folks to share your favorite scary stories.

Leave a comment!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goosebumps are still great. My son reads them all the time.

For me, I really enjoyed the Silence of the Lambs book. The movie was great and the book is just as good. Recommended.

Ryan said...

The Stand! King's the man. Apocalyptic story before they were cool #OGhipster

Christian said...

I absolutely loved the Fear Street books growing up. I remember trying to own the whole collection but that proved difficult since there's like over 100 books in the series. Anyway, I had always wished they made a tv series out of it since I considered it the best of Stines' works and I was always impressed that for a book targeted at tweens he wasn't afraid to kill off his main characters.

I would also recommend Lois Duncan's books. Her books mostly target young adults but they can be pretty scary and I think more sophisticated than R.L. Stine.

Anonymous said...

The Goosebumps tv episodes weren't that great. I loved them as a kid, but watching one or two as an adult -- oh, man, they were low budget.

Haven't read too many Fear Street books. Wasn't it mainly target toward girls? I have the memory that almost every protagonist of Fear Street books were girls.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.