Monday, June 23, 2014

Mr. Creepy

So I was posted here before regarding my previous story: Portuguese Prowlers.
I have another one that happen about 10 or 11 years ago, when I was still in high school.
I was lucky enough to live close to my high school, and every morning I would walk the 10/15 minutes distance between my house and my school. I walked through a small parking lot and I would then arrive to a Park where I would wait for a friend (who was usually either late or would not come at all).

One morning, I noticed an old white Renault, parked in the small parking lot. Inside there was a very large, middle aged man reading the newspaper. I did not think too much of it and I kept walking until the Park, where I waited for my friend. Next to the Park gate was a small kiosk, you know, where they sell newspapers and magazines.
So I was waiting for my friend and I noticed Mr. Creepy again, this time standing next to the kiosk keenly looking at me. I also saw that he was wearing only gray colored clothes. He was very easy to spot.
“It’s okay” I thought “no big deal, there’s lots of people in the street at 8 in the morning”.
When my friend failed to come, I proceeded to walk inside the Park alone. Or not. I looked behind me, something that, as a girl, I do a lot in case I’m being followed. And there he was, walking a couple of meters behind me, following me to school. The good thing was that my school was just at the end of the Park.

This situation would become more and more frequent in the next few months. Every day I would walk to school and every day Mr. Creepy was inside his Renault and, after I passed, he would leave the car and follow me until school. And he was always wearing freaking gray clothes. And it wasn’t any kind of uniform.

The Park had two entrances. Sometimes I would walk through one and checked if he was behind me. If he wasn’t I would be relieved only to find out that he had entered the Park through the other entrance, thus meeting me in the center of the Park.

I got really scared and decided to talk with my Dad who was always fiercely protective of me. He walked with me to school, wrote the license plate of the Renault in his phone and talked with a police officer that was always there. Obviously Mr. Creepy did not chase me that day.

Eventually my school schedule changed and I did not see him again.
Or not. A few years later I was at home and I went to the coffee shop to buy a pack of cigarettes. There, standing in front of my building was Mr. Creepy, looking directly at me. It almost seemed that he was waiting for me.
I stopped walking. We looked at each other for a second and then, I still don’t know how I did this, I continued to walk, passing right next to him.
I truly believe that the fact that he was next to my building was no coincidence. I think he knew where I lived and I also think that he must have followed me home without me realizing it.

I never saw Mr. Creepy again after that but I could recognize him anytime, anywhere.

No comments: