Monday, October 17, 2011

College Paranoia

During finals week at college I was at the library studying late.  I left the library pretty close to midnight and decided to carry my laptop to my car which was a block and a half away down a side street. The street was vacant and I was completely alone. My phone ran out of juice earlier in the night, and I did feel a little creeped out but it the area was pretty well lit, so I figured I'd be okay.

As I was walking, a sketchy pickup truck drove the opposite way and slowed way down to get a look at me.  I was too scared to look at the driver, so I didn't get a description of him.  The truck did a k-turn behind me and started following me up the street.

I immediately stopped, let it pass, and stood by a lamp post until it made a turn (down the street where my car was). I went back to the library and asked public safety to walk me to my car. As we got closer, the truck that had been following me was idle in the space directly behind my car and sped off down the street as soon as he saw me and the cop.

I almost didn't go back and get public safety because I felt I was being too paranoid. Note: Never be "too paranoid."

No comments: