Friday, May 6, 2011

What the Hell?

This happened in the fall of 2004. I was living with my sister, and another male roommate, R, at the time in a little apartment. We had all just moved in about 2 weeks ago.

These were semi-upscale units, gated community, supposedly patrolled 24 hours a day...Anyhow, it was a weeknight. I got home from work later than normal, and decided to watch a movie with the roomies while eating some leftover supper. It was about 11:30 when I got home. Sis and I fall asleep in the living room. I am awakened by a very loud pounding and screaming at the door. It's a girl's voice, crying her head off, screaming for help. Sis is awake now, too, and R has just wandered in.

Stupid me, I decided to open the door. This girl was in her nightgown with a blanket wrapped around her, no shoes, her face soaked with tears.

"Help me, please. Can I come inside?" She asks.

She seems harmless enough. Come on, she's wearing a damn nightgown, and it is cold outside.
"Is everything ok? I ask.


"No! There's a man in my apartment! I got scared, so I ran out. I live by myself and I just moved in. I don't have my phone yet, so I went around to the neighbors for help, and no one would open the door except for you guys. Can I use your phone?"

I hand her the cordless, assuming that she's going to call the cops. She thanks me. Then, she takes the phone outside, and around the corner to talk.
For 15. *beep* Minutes.

Then, she comes back with the phone, and thanks me again.
R offers to check out her place for her, and grabs his baseball bat.
She thinks it's a good idea not to go in alone. So, what the hell, we all go.
Her apartment is around the corner from ours.

We go in her place, and she has to unlock the front door to get in.

R checks the other windows, and they are all locked, except for the sliding glass door in her bedroom , which is wide open. We turn on all the lights and wait in the front room while he checks the place. There's no one there.

So, she figures he must've gotten in and out through the sliding door, which would seem totally logical if it weren't 3 floors up.

Anyway, as soon as R said it was all clear, the girl was just like, "Oh, well. Thank you SO much! I'm gonna go to sleep, now. Good night!"

Sis looks at me sideways, and then says to her, "Don't you want to wait until the police get here?"
She says, "I never called the police." And closes the door.

So, that gave me a funny feeling, so we 3 sprint back to our place asap. Nothing out of the ordinary. It takes awhile but we all manage to get some sleep. We chalked up the night's events to a young girl's first night alone away from home creepies, and didn't think anymore about it.
Fast forward to 3 weeks later.

The 3 of us are home in the evening watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special (of all things), when there's a knock on the door.

R opens it without hesitation. We all turn and look.

It's the same girl as before, and there's an older man with her that we don't recognize. They are all dressed up. She has the world's biggest smile on her face.

The man says, "Hello. I am very sorry to bother you this evening. Have you seen this young lady before?"

R says he has.

"This is my daughter. She says she's been in your house. Has she been in your house?"
R nods.

" Well, if she comes back, DO NOT LET HER IN YOUR HOUSE. No matter what she tells you. DO NOT LET HER IN. NEVER LET HER IN."

The man was very solemn, but the girl had a ten-mile grin the whole time, and it just scared the *beep* *beep* out of me.

That was November, and we moved out in January, and she never did come back.
Thank hell.

2 comments:

Murderlust said...

Ha! This is my story! Awesome!

Aloneinthenight said...

It's a great story! So creepy at the end.