Sunday, October 13, 2013

Handcuff Basement

*Alone at Night Staff Note* {The following story and photos were first told to me by a friend over lunch one afternoon.  I had been in this basement before hearing this story, but I'm not sure if I'd go down there again. The scariest part about this story is that it let's your mind wonder and come to it's own frightening conclusions of what was happening in the handcuff basement. Now on to the story...}


I'm writing this now because it was around this time of year a few years ago that my husband bought the house we live in now. Being a first time home buyer, there are certain things one usually looks for. You make sure it has enough closet and storage space. You make sure you are comfortable with the size of the rooms. You check out the yard and make sure that it has the fence or landscaping you desire. There is a home inspection completed to ensure that the house is safe and everything works properly and is up to code. You ask questions like, "How old is this house"? "What are the property taxes"? etc. But for us, the question of "What might previously have happened in this house " never entered our minds. That is, until we actually moved in and explored the house more thoroughly.
The only real must have for the house was a basement. My husband wanted to be able to have a place to play his drums and set up an entertainment area. When we first looked at the house, we briefly saw the basement. We made sure it was spacious enough for our needs, but we didn't look at all of the nooks and crannies down there. It wasn't until he was actually moving in and setting up his drums in the basement that we saw some strange and creepy things.


The first thing we noticed was a metal track that ran across the length of the ceiling. Hanging from the track was a metal hook with a pair of handcuffs connected. We found it odd, but didn't want to think about what the previous owners did with their extra-curricular time. Upon further exploration, my husband discovered the writing on the pole. I was upstairs in the kitchen and I heard him exclaim in a disturbed tone of voice, "WTF happened down here? You gotta come down here and see this"! I hurried down the stairs to see him standing there spooked and white as a ghost. On the pole were the words, "Let me die". They looked like they had been scratched on the pole with a fingernail or a small sharp object. There were other similar phrases etched in various parts of the basement. In the little dark room where the hot water heater is at, were the words "help me" and "save me".
Now, we don't know what to think of the hook with the handcuffs and the eerie phrases scratched into random surfaces. I refuse to go to the basement unless there is someone home with me; and even then I get the heebie-jeebies.


The moral of the story is that there are some things you can't discover about a house until you move in. There are some questions that cannot be answered. If it wasn't an illegal activity that the previous tenants got busted for, there would be no record of what happened. But, you can learn from this story. If you buy a house with a basement or an attic, maybe pay a little more attention to the details before you make an offer and move in.
(there were handcuffs on here before we cut them off)

(We strongly encourage conversation about this story, so please leave a comment.  Thanks)

4 comments:

Hannah Ruth said...

I would be doing as much research as possible to see who lived there etc. I would also be letting the local police department know!

I don't think I would be able to go down into that basement without someone with me for sure. Definitely creepy.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm immagining something like out of Pulp Fiction. You know that part with The Gimp? Yikes! I'm with Hannah, I'd go all journalist on that creepy basement and ifnd out what the hell that is all about.

Jen said...

If it was just the hand-cuff thing I might just decide that the previous owners were just kinky but the etchings wishing to die and asking for help make it alot more sinister. I think I would be speaking to the local police.

Who knows what went on there? It may even assist the police in a case the new owners never even heard about.

Anonymous said...

maybe i've watched too much Criminal Minds but that sounds like a torture chamber!