Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Empty Apartment Noises

I live above an eye doctors office, and including mine, there are only three apartments total. My apartment is on one end, my neighbor Michelle's apartment is on the other end, and there is an empty apartment in the middle. I don't know what it is, but people in that middle apartment don't seem to stay long.

The middle apartment has been empty for months, and I really like it. Michelle, my neighbor at one end, and I have an entire apartment between us, and no matter how loud we are we can't hear each other. It is peaceful, because we mainly keep to ourselves, but are friendly when we run into each other in the hall or doing laundry.

It does get creepy sometimes though. I don't live in the best part of my town, near a small bar that runs a lot of drugs, and a liquor store, and some run down multi-family apartment houses. There is the occasional broken window, or fight, or drunk person causing problems.

Another problem is that the downstairs entry door is broken. The door closes, and the door is locked, but a decent tug on the handle and the door opens right up. Both myself and my neighbor notified the landlord, but he is slow to fix things.

Last night I fell asleep fairly early for me, probably around 10:30 or 11:00. However, something wakes up not long after I'd fallen asleep. I sit up in my bed, and try to figure out what woke me. Then I hear it. Voices from the middle apartment. I check my clock and see that it is 12:45am. I immediately think that someone has broken into the apartment. I groggily grab the baseball bat beside my bed, and get up. I listen...

My apartment is also right by a bus stop, and at this time of year there is often an unfortunate homeless individual hanging out there late at night, because the covered benches has heaters in them. So, I'm thinking that maybe a homeless person broke in to the apartment to stay someplace warm... I don't know how well my logic holds, but I was asleep and I'm' groggy.

I listen some more, and hear hushed talking, and then I hear the noise of people sliding the closes doors open and then close. Then I hear the bathroom faucet turn on. The noise is familiar because my closet doors are the same. As I wake up more, I realize that if the water is on it means that it has been turned on, because surely the water was turned off while the apartment was empty. If the water had been turned on then it means that there must be new renters.

I breathe a sigh of relief and realize that the apartment must be rented, and my landlord didn't tell me. I called him the next day, and it turns out I'm right. Now I just hope they aren't creepers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a stupid story...