Monday, November 29, 2010

Lucky



It took place a while back when I was attending Northwestern University. I was driving out to see my girlfriend who lived about 2 or 3 hours away from Chicago. Well, I was basically driving in the middle of no where, on a very long and straight road, when my car crapped out on me. I tried to start it a few times but I essentially knew nothing about engines or how to fix one. So I called AAA to send a tow truck. I was only able to give them the road I was on and the most recent crossroad I had passed, since there was literally nothing but corn fields and telephone lines around me.


Well, only about 5 minutes after I called AAA, I saw an old pickup truck driving towards me coming from the direction that I was headed. After it finally passed me, the driver stopped and pulled off to the side of the road. The reason this movie reminded me of this incident was because there were 3 people in the truck. The driver, a woman and another male passenger. After like a minute of sitting there, the driver came out of his truck and starting walking towards my car. One thing that really struck me as odd was that the two passengers in the pickup truck just sat there, facing forward so I couldn't see their faces, throughout the ENTIRE time. They never once turned their heads or moved an inch.

So the driver, a rather big guy (around 6 foot 4 I'd say) walked up to my car and started knocking on my window, asking if I needed help. I told him I was fine but he kept knocking. I said to him that a tow truck was on its way right now. Then he started to grab the door handle to open the door, but thankfully I had locked it when I saw him coming. Something just didn't feel right. I was like, "what are you doing man? I said I'm fine." Then, all of a sudden, he stopped pulling at the door handle, and paused for a second. He looked both directions down the road and it seemed like he was hesitating about something. Then he muttered one word.. and that was what scared me the most... at barely a whisper, he muttered under his breath, "lucky..." I could hardly make out what he said at the time. Then he stared at me for like a good 15 seconds, went back to his truck, and drove off. But instead of driving down the road, in the direction he was headed, he drove back the way they CAME. The road was a good 1-2 miles long. I never understood why he would drive that far down the road to my car, if he wasn't intending to pass by.

No comments: