Monday, August 30, 2010

To Shoot or not to Shoot

About 10 years ago I was exiting a convenient store and walking to my car. A very unsavory looking character was approaching the store and we were going to closely pass each other on the narrow sidewalk. I am approx 5’ 9” and 160 lbs…..this guy was about 6’ 2”, leather jacket and bandana around his head….he looked like a Hell’s Angel. Looks do not necessarily make you a bad person….but I made sure to get out of his way and turn sideways to allow him to pass. To no avail….he made no attempt to also avoid a collision and actually leaned into me as he passed and bumped me pretty hard. Wanting to avoid a confrontation I ignored the bump and continued to my car.

As I was shutting the door to my car I noticed that he was right there outside my car door. I quickly locked the doors…..he knocked on my window and I rolled it down about 4 inches and asked what he wanted. He informed me that “People like you are suppose to get out of the way for people like me…” I told him that I had tried but it was him that bumped into me. I guess he didn’t like the fact that I disagreed with him and he squeezed his arm through the 4” opening of my window and tried to grab me. I leaned away toward the passenger side and retrieved my Glock .40 cal. From under the seat. I did not have a carry permit at the time. I pointed the gun at him and I saw that he now had a knife in his right hand while his left arm was flailing about inside the car trying to reach me.

At the sight of the Glock I fully expected him to quickly retreat….but he didn’t. He actually laughed and said “You think that little pee shooter is going to hurt me?” Even though I had previously though about what I would do in a situation like that, I have to say I was scared and shaking, my skin became cold and clammy. In hindsight, I was scared because I honestly thought I was going to have to shoot him….and I didn’t have a carry permit and was not sure what would happen to me from a legal standpoint. I wasn’t sure if I was legally justified in firing at this point. He pulled his arm out and grabbed the top of my partially rolled down window and started jerking it very hard trying to break the glass. All I could see was him attempting to break the glass with his left hand and a knife in his right. I told him several times “

As soon as the glass breaks I’m going to shoot.” By this time I could see other people watching the unfolding event. It only stopped when his buddy came to him and convinced him to stop. If the glass had broken I would have fired. To this day I am still unsure if I would have been justified in shooting as he was attempting to break the window….or even what would have happen to me legally if I had shot him with me not having a carry permit.

No comments: